When you join SAR, you become a member of the California Association of REALTORS® (C.A.R.) and the National Association of REALTORS® (NAR). Each organization is committed to bringing you the tools and information you need to succeed.
Take a moment to view the following member benefits and you’ll quickly discover why joining SAR is essential to your success.
To apply for SAR membership, please submit the following documentation:
- Completed SAR Member Application, including responsible broker’s signature
- Copy of your California Bureau of Real Estate salesperson’s or broker’s license
- Copy of your picture ID (driver’s license, passport, etc.)
- Payment for the appropriate dues amount
Multiple Listing Service (MLS)
Lockboxes and Lockbox Keys
To obtain a lockbox and/or key, please call SAR Member Services at (916) 922–7711. For the best service please call to make an appointment to pick up your MetroList® lockbox key.
The National Association of REALTORS® requires that you complete new member orientation within 60 days of joining the Association. SAR offers members the following time slots for completing the mandatory orientation:
- Every first Wednesday of the month, 9:00am – 12:30pm
- Every second Wednesday of the month, 1:00pm – 4:30pm
- Every third Wednesday of the month, 6:00pm – 9:30pm
Note: In order for the staff to prepare your course materials, we need you to deliver your membership application and payment to SAR at least 24 hours before your orientation time. Please arrive on time for the class and plan to stay for the entire duration. Please do not bring children with you, as this is a classroom environment.
SAR’s New Member Orientation covers:
- Presentation of new Member packet and REALTOR® pin
- Overview of benefits
- PowerPoint presentation explaining the Code of Ethics and Professional Standards
- REALTOR® Safety Video
- An introduction to SAR Public Affairs, Education, and Retail Center
Education – A wide range of professional development classes to meet your needs, including such topics as working with buyers, social networking, lead generation, residential purchase agreements, and negotiation techniques; instructors provide "real world" experience – affordably priced and in–depth.
Communications – Keep up–to–date with weekly emails, monthly newsletters, SAR's website, Facebook, and Twitter.
Monthly Forums – The Broker/Manager Forum, Real Estate Finance Forum and Public Issues Forum are free and keep you informed about issues affecting your ability to do business.
Main Meetings – Every month hear an entertaining and informative speaker and get to know your fellow REALTORS®.
Leadership Development – SAR is serious about attracting a range of talent to leadership. The Leadership Academy will put you on the right path.
Committees and Clubs – Become more involved – put your talents to work and support the efforts of the Association. Your participation will also strengthen your business as you connect with your colleagues.
Designations – Enhance your career with designation courses including Graduate REALTOR® Institute (GRI), Senior Real Estate Specialist (SRES) and Accredited Buyer’s Representative (ABR).
Business Support & Member Discounts
Group Medical/Dental/Vision Insurance Policies: Affordable, guarantee issue HMO and PPO policies – Affiliate Members may also obtain insurance through the SAR group plans.
Branding – Use of the REALTOR® brand is only available to Members. Distinguish yourself as a real estate professional.
Code of Ethics, Mediation and Arbitration Services – Free ethics mediation – Arbitration and ombudsman services help resolve disputes, protecting you and your clients.
Retail Center – Time–management supplies; custom signs, riders, posts and frames; gift baskets; REALTOR® wear, discounts on toner cartridges and CFL bulbs, custom business cards and stamps – Saturday hours and online at realtysupplycenter.com
Regional Meetings (Caravans) – Meet your fellow REALTOR®, present your listings, hear finance updates and other real estate information, tour homes new to the market &ndash six locations.
Computer Use and Wireless Access – Free WiFi
Event Center Rentals – Auditorium and other meeting rooms – discounted rates and lots of free parking
Scholarships – Supporting local students pursuing higher education, especially children and grandchildren of Members
Commercial Division – Classes and a free newsletter and website serve the unique needs of commercial practitioners. Commercial property listings are available at no charge.
Legal Hotline – Live advice from California Real Estate attorneys at no charge
Statistics – Gain insight into the local market and trends every month. More detailed reports are available to Members only.
zipForms® – Instant access to the latest forms to complete transactions in California. Free online document storage and e-signature capability.
Goverment Advocacy – Work on issues that have an impact on private property rights and private property values:
- Protect the mortgage interest deduction
- Maintain national flood insurance protection
- Oppose state–mandated disclosures and costly point-of-sale ordinances
- Oppose real estate–related taxes masquerading as fees
- Watch for changes in local sign ordinances
- Work against local business license fees and commission taxes
- The REALTOR® Action Fund supports candidates who are sympathetic to REALTOR® issues.
- The REALTOR® Action Fund supports or opposes issues that have an impact on private property rights and private property values.
Real estate transactions require the cooperation and coordination of many professionals, including REALTORS® who represent the buyers and sellers, and affiliates who facilitate the process. The best REALTOR®–affiliate partnerships are based on mutual respect, open communication, and an understanding of one another’s role.
Becoming an affiliate member is an excellent first step in forming prosperous partnerships for a successful real estate career. Any individual or company engaged in a business related to the real estate profession, or serving the professional or educational needs of real estate practitioners, may apply for affiliate membership.
SAR has two types of Affiliate Memberships to meet your needs:
- Company Affiliate – A Company membership includes one Primary Membership and up to four Secondary Memberships.
- Individual Affiliate – A solitary applicant; also suggested for affiliates in small or one–person offices.
Who is Not Eligible?
If you or any member of your company hold an active real estate broker’s license issued by the State of California, and if such license is used in business for anything other than actions incidental to your business’ main purpose, you or your company are ineligible for an affiliate membership.
- Company Recognition – Your company name and address are listed in the SAR Membership Directory
- Receive SAR updates – The company member–of–record will receive SAR correspondences (e.g. monthly newsletter, weekly email messages and mailings)
- Participate in SAR Events – Company staff members can attend SAR events and meetings
- Marketing Opportunities – Your company can market its products and services by underwriting expenses related to SAR classes, meetings and special events
Note: Your membership will be terminated if you change employment to a company that is not a Company Affiliate.
- Individual and Company Recognition – Your name, company and contact information are listed in SAR’s online membership roster. This enables SAR REALTOR® Members and general website visitors to locate you quickly.
- Receive SAR updates – You will receive SAR correspondence (e.g. monthly newsletter, weekly email messages and mailings) at your preferred location &ndash work or home
- Participate in SAR Events – As an official member, you will receive personal invitations to events like the SAR President’s Installation and Masters Club Luncheon and may attend all SAR meetings
- Receive member discounts – Take advantage of SAR member rates, available in our Retail Center and at SAR classes
- Group health benefits – You are entitled to discounted rates on group insurance programs (medical, dental, vision, accidental death and dismemberment)
To apply for affiliate membership, please submit an Affiliate Membership Application accompanied by the appropriate dues payment. If you are delegating more than four affiliates, please complete the Addendum to the Affiliate Application.
Mail, fax, or email your completed application to:
Sacramento Association of REALTORS®
2003 Howe Avenue
Sacramento, CA 95825
FAX (916) 283-8812
We will return your application fee in the event that you are not elected for membership. Dues are payable upon acceptance as an affiliate member and can be paid by check, credit card or cash. We accept VISA, MasterCard, Discover and American Express.
Affiliates gain an advantage in business and enrich their personal lives by participating in SAR. Affiliate members have the opportunity to:
- Attend SAR events, including membership meetings and social activities
- Network with more than 3,000 local real estate professionals
- Enroll in SAR insurance programs (medical, dental, vision, accidental death and dismemberment)
- Be listed in the SAR Membership Directory, a ready–resource for hundreds of REALTOR® members
- Sponsor meetings, programs and events to gain valuable exposure in the real estate community
- Serve on SAR committees and community service projects to earn personal and company recognition within the larger Sacramento community
- Join the SAR Real Estate Finance Forum and have a voice in the organization
- Purchase items at the SAR Retail Center(except standard forms)
- Receive the SAR monthly newsletter and informational mailings
Affiliate Insurance Programs
As a SAR affiliate member, you are entitled to excellent group health insurance programs that are more affordable than if you purchased them on your own. For details, please contact:
Ames-Grenz Insurance Services
SAR encourages its affiliate members to get involved in the association. To enhance your company’s visibility within the real estate community, consider sponsoring a SAR event or program. Sponsorship opportunities include:
- Monthly Main Membership Meetings
- Weekly Regional Membership Meetings
- Officer & Director Installation
- Golf Tournament